Ontario tenants rights Ontario tenant law Ontario Residential Tenancies Act Ontario government Poverty research Apartments for rent in Canada Ontario Hydro Search Ontario tenants rights
Ajax apartments for rent

Toronto apartments & rental housing

Living in & moving to Toronto

For Metro Toronto communities including: the Annex, Beaches, Bloor West Village, the Danforth, Davisville, Downtown Toronto, East York, Etobicoke, High Park, North Toronto, North York, Parkdale, Scarborough, Yonge and Eglinton, etcetera and of course the City of Toronto, Canada

This is a helpful list for renters those who are living in or moving to Toronto Canada, not just those looking for Toronto apartments for rent having both Toronto apartment search sites but also government resources, social services, legal, health and even emergency housing.

For information on your rights as a tenant go to the Ontario Tenants Most Asked Questions and Answers page.

For nearby GTA (Greater Toronto Area) communities click here for tenant information for: Mississauga apartments, or Brampton apartments

Toronto apartments for rent listings, rental housing and condos search:

Toronto public housing landlords, rent geared to income accomodations, and government benefits for disadvantaged Toronto tenants:

City of Toronto - Government pages

    City of Toronto Information, other Toronto information, such as City Hall, politicians, garbage, TTC, roads, parks,
    or for city parks, recreation, community centres, events and sports click on Toronto events and attractions
    Apartment Standards Records, City of Toronto, check outstanding work orders against Toronto landlords.
    City of Toronto, Municipal Code

    Toronto apartment heat bylaw. If your heat is not maintained at least at 21 degrees Celsius from September 15 to June 1, first complain to your landlord, then you can call the City of Toronto, either your City Councillor or a bylaw inspector, regarding apartment heat by calling 416-338-0338. If you really just wanted to see the Toronto temperature, please visit Toronto's weather.

    If you landlord won't do necessary repairs, call the City of Toronto, Municipal Licensing and Standards Department, to have a building inspector sent out. Here is the Frequently Asked Questions and their answers on this topic provided by the city's Municipal Licensing Services Division. To file a complaint call 311, or fill in one of the of the following online forms:

    The numbers to call for Toronto tenants (depending on your area) are:

    • Property Standards General Email Inquiriescrctier2@toronto.ca
    • Etobicoke York District, 416-394-2550
    • North York District, 416-395-7366
    • Scarborough District, 416-396-4166
    • Toronto and East York District: 416-397-4150
    Toronto Apartment Building Audit Investigations,
    Municipal Licensing and Standards Division, City of Toronto

    Toronto Rent Bank: information on interest free loans to keep your place, if you are behind on your rent and are not on Ontario Works, ODSP or in rent geared to income housing.

    United Way of Great Toronto report Poverty By Toronto Postal Code 2 (2011)

    The Emergency Energy Fund (EEF) is a program for those not currently receiving social assistance who are experiencing energy related arrears (hydro, gas and oil), funded through the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services. has since stated its intention of providing funding on an annual basis. Eligibility for assistance is means-tested with available income and assets being considered. If you are not in receipt of social assistance and require funding, call 416-338-3332 for an initial eligibility assessment. Those receiving Ontario Works (OW) or who are on the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) should contact their caseworkers. For more information click Emergency Energy Fund.

Other government services

Toronto Homeless and Emergency Housing Shelters:

Toronto Transportation:

    GO Transit, has 14 train stops within Toronto, for information call: 416-869-3200
    Greater Toronto Airports Authority, which runs Toronto Pearson International Airport
    TTC, Toronto Transit Commission, public transit and the Toronto subway, 416-393-INFO, routes and schedules 24 hours, 7 days a week
    WheelTrans, the TTC's disabled transit system, 416-393-4111 for general information and to register for the service. Reservations 416-393-4222
    Greyhound Bus, takes to to other cities from the Toronto Bus Terminal 610 Bay Street, 416-594-1010
    Via Rail, take the Train from Toronto to cities across Canada
    Porter Airlines flying from Toronto City Centre Airport

Other Services:

Toronto Directory & General Reference:

Toronto music
Toronto bookstores
Bee & honey products

Places to visit on the site:
Ontario Tenants homepage         |       Residential Tenancies Act       |     Finding an apartment
Ontario Landlord and Tenant Q&A   |   Housing and poverty reports   |   Other housing links
Tenant rights and social justice     |     Renters muncipal issues     |     Rent Control
Apartment safety & security  | Tenant health: Toxic mould, cockroaches  | Consumer Information
Tenant association organizing   |    Utility costs: Ontario hydro, natural gas   |    Ontario MPP list